We offer a range of face-to-face and online training courses for governors offered as part of an annual training subscription or on a pay-as-you-use basis, ensuring governors and governing boards meet their statutory responsibilities.
Governor Training Service
The Governor Training Service provides governing boards with access to governor training sessions, either as part of an annual subscription or on a pay as you use basis. The subscription runs in line with your financial year.
The current courses available through Governance Services are listed below. Please note that some courses are only offered as group training sessions (not in-house).
We also offer governor training packages for MATs. Contact us for further information.
Non-subscribers: please the Governance team for further assistance and information, including details on pricing.
Group training sessions can be booked via your GovernorHub account. If you have any issues logging into your user account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Online bookings will be confirmed automatically once you have completed the booking process. The confirmation includes details of the cancellation policy. In the event you do not receive confirmation, please notify us as soon as possible.
Please be advised that for in-house (two-hour) sessions that are part of your subscription package, five clear working days’ cancellation notice is required. Where less than five clear working days is given, the governing body may forfeit the session.
Booking terms and conditions
1. It is your responsibility to cancel off any course you have booked on, through your single sign on within GovernorHub, including remote. To avoid your school being charged please ensure you read the following:
All notification of cancellations for governor training bookings must be communicated by:
signing in to GovernorHub ‘Training’ and selecting ‘cancel’ against your booking which automatically sends Governance a notification (*Cancellation via GovernorHub is the preferred method)
If you are unable to cancel via GovernorHub, please use one of the following communication methods – you will need to confirm your name; school setting; course code and title:
calling Governance on 01438 544478
2. Training may only be cancelled by the governor in accordance with item 1 above. If a governor fails to attend all or part of any Training, full payment of the Charges shall be required. Cancellation charges will apply as follows:
Days before event Proportion of liable cost
Cancellation due to an Ofsted visit 0%
Cancellation before 16 working days 0%
15 to 6 working days 50%
5 working days or less 100%
Non-attendance charge 100%
3. Cancellation charges will not apply if a governor attends in your place. Please notify the Governance team by email at the time if governor is attending in your place, including their name – email should be sent to email@example.com
4. For in-house sessions that are part of the Governor Training subscription package, five clear working days’ notice is required to cancel in-house (two-hour sessions). Where less than five clear working days is given, the governing body forfeit the session.
5. If a refund is approved by HfL, it will be made through the original mode of payment only.
Governance Ready Education and Training (GREAT) development pathway
Our GREAT Pathway training is recommended for all governors in maintained schools, associate members (maintained), trustees, Members in academies/MATs and local academy boards.
Modern Governor elearning
Modern Governor has a comprehensive range of elearning content enabling governors and trustees to access CPD at a time and place to suit you. Courses are mapped onto the DfE's Competency Framework for Governance.